Operations & Maintenance Wind Turbine Tech
The person holding this position is responsible for safe operation and maintenance of wind turbine power generation equipment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct all work activities in a professional, environmentally conscious, and safe manner.
- Assure operational efficiency, unit reliability and compliance with safety and environmental standards. Maintain and execute tactical processes in a team oriented, multi-discipline environment.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair wind turbine generation equipment.
- Carry out troubleshooting and repair activities to ensure that wind turbine generation equipment work at the optimum levels.
- Perform general and preventative maintenance on generators, pitch systems, yaw systems, cooling systems, and other wind turbine support systems.
- Perform predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Experience in troubleshooting and correcting mechanical issues with gearboxes, pumps and other rotating equipment.
- Experience in rotating machinery alignment.
- Complete other tasks as requested by the Lead Technician or Facilities Manager.
- Varying day shift schedule allow up to 6 days a week of coverage. Will also be required to respond to call outs and work overtime as needed.
- Ability to adhere to and follow all safety policies.
- Ability to perform inspections of safety equipment, vehicles, personal protective equipment, and plant equipment.
- Must be on time and track time correctly.
- Electrical Maintenance- troubleshooting and correcting electrical maintenance problems, including contactors, motors, breakers and wiring.
- 3 – 5 years’ related experience required working in a power plant environment preferred.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Good decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills.
- Capability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Ability to handle constantly changing and emerging work priorities schedules and prioritizes work.
- Ability to analyze technical information and make sound judgement decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to understand and read electrical drawings and to read, write and comprehend technical information.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to interact with various personality types desired.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office and other computer-based productivity tools.
- Demonstrates decision making abilities, long term developmental capabilities and networking skills.
- Must have an unrestricted driver’s license and be able to speak English.
- Must meet the weight requirements for the safety equipment and wind turbine equipment.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Associates technical/electronic degree or minimum 3 years of work experience in electrical/electronic repair industry, mechanical field.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, remaining focused and calm in the face of distractions.
- Possess high safety and environmental awareness.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with diverse groups.
- Ability to continuously learn and adapt to change.
- Troubleshoot complicated mechanical and electrical problems on variable pitch, variable speed turbines.
- Assist in all areas of site operations with minimal supervision as directed by manager.
- Document all work performed using computer-based software.
- Constantly works to improve skill level by attending sponsored training sessions.
- Requires climbing ladders, standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, and climbing stairs to inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- Outdoor conditions may run from very cold to hot and humid. Will work in confined spaces, dust, grease & oil and be exposed to loud noise.
- Requires occasional travel outside service area.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Must have the ability to work at elevated spaces and be able to climb a 300-foot tower ladder on a daily basis.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds.
- Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to operate power tools such as grease guns, impact guns and rotating saws.
- Must have the ability to operate hand tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers.