Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 5,800 MW.
The Risk Analyst is a high visibility role, which will allow the individual to interact with traders and senior management to assure that pricing, hedging and risk evaluation techniques are applied properly and monitored. In order to succeed you must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills along with good communication skills. This position will report to the Head of Risk and will be located in our Princeton, NJ office.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working closely with traders, risk analysts and senior management to analyze performance and provide risk analysis around complex transactions and portfolio positions, including power generation, transport, storage, complex derivatives, and hedging strategies.
- Develop, produce and monitor position, P&L and risk reports for the energy generation and hedge portfolio.
- Review end-of-day curves in the risk system.
- Leverage problem solving, analytical skills and new technologies to enhance and automate various risk processes.
- Collaborate effectively within the Risk team and other departments on issues/projects.
- Work closely with IT on risk system improvements and testing new enhancements.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field like Finance, Business, Economic, Engineering, Science, Computer Science, or equivalent quantitative risk experience.
- Strong financial acumen and analysis background.
- Attention to detail, diligent, strong organizational skills, curious, confident, and creative. Proficient in effectively communicating to a wide range of audiences in both written and oral form.
- Extensive experience with MS Excel, and highly skilled with other MS Office products including MS Word and MS Power Point.
- Experience writing VBA code in Excel or comparable programming work.
- Ability to plan/manage multiple priorities while committed to deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Knowledge of energy markets a plus: Electricity, natural gas, renewables, emissions and/or oil markets.
- Experience with derivative pricing and/or various middle office functions.
- Understanding of common financial risk metrics and control methodologies.
- Knowledge and experience using relational databases and SQL.
- Ability to work well independently or in a team setting. Must have strong work ethic.
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to email@example.com. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email