Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 8,800 MW.
The “B” Operator is accountable for the safe operation, monitoring and recording of plant functions throughout the facility under the direction of the “A” Operator. The “B” Operator takes action to ensure the safe, economical, compliant and reliable operation of the equipment. He/She places equipment into service and removes equipment from service.
He/She follows operations procedures. This includes operating and maintaining the facility based on good judgment and collecting and evaluating operational data.
The “B” Operator is accountable to the Operations Manager and the “A” Operator, and operates within the context and prescribed limits established by Plant Management.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Major accountability that are specific to this position:
- Provide input to the “A” Operator and escalates feedback to the Operations Manager when necessary. Ensures on-going appropriate relationships and communications with other positions.
- Efficiently operate and maintain operating systems at the facility with minimal guidance or assistance based upon Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), plant procedures and operation data. Be proficient in utilizing the site data historian, PI Process Book, to assist in plant system troubleshooting and plant performance data gathering. Maintain proficiency on all job qualifications.
- Makes frequent rounds of plant equipment, records and evaluates operating data. Performs equipment rotations.
- Performs all daily operator logs. Performs weekly and monthly equipment, safety inspections and completes all associated logs.
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics. Efficiently operate and maintain the facility with minimal guidance or assistance based upon site procedures, good utility practice and operation data. Use experience and site tools to assist in plant system troubleshooting and plant performance data gathering.
- Reads meters, gauges or automatic devices to record and analyze data such as temperature of equipment, vibration of equipment, hours of operations, pressure and fluid levels to verify operation conditions. Visually inspect and listen to equipment to detect malfunctions or need for repair, adjustment or lubrication.
- Identify, troubleshoot and communicate plant issues and keep “A” Operator and Management fully informed of unusual conditions, damaged equipment and current job processes as it relates to the operation. Proficiently utilize the site computerized
- Maintenance management system (CMMS) to communicate and document plant issues and/or unusual conditions. Provides detailed status of plant conditions and directives at all times including shift turnover. Use judgment to escalate emergent work to get immediate remedy.
- Proficient in control room operations and provides relief to “A” Operator on an as needed basis for short periods of time.
- Effectively exercise three-way communication and give directives internally and to external entities (regulatory, transmission Owner/Operator, ISO-NE, emergency responders, Marketing Group). Follow directives from internal and external entities to the extent it is prudent to do so. Accurately maintains logbooks.
- Perform water chemistry analysis on various systems such as HRSG, auxiliary boiler, demin water, ZWDS and cooling tower systems. Ensure water chemistry is within proper control ranges. Make adjustments to water chemistry, as needed, by controlling chemical feed and /or blow-down rates. Work with “A” Operators and water treatment vendor to properly monitor and control overall chemistry program.
- Reviews and updates various operational procedures and documents as directed by management.
- Identify and resolve Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems (CEMS) problems. Assist in the calibrations and CEMS bottle change out.
- Complies and adheres to all plant environmental permits, all regulatory procedures, and operating procedures.
- Responsible for effectively and accurately executing and/or working under and documenting all required safety and health permitting, including but not limited to Work Authorization, Lock Out/Tag Out and Hot Work Confined Space Entry. Understands and complies with facility safety programs.
- Participates in and contributes to plant safety meetings and programs. Presents various safety training topics as assigned. Brings ideas for safety improvements forward. Documents all safety findings appropriately (near miss reporting, safety work orders, incident investigation participation, and safety improvement plan). Stops work and takes
- corrective action if an unsafe act is witnessed and escalates to management as appropriate. Enforces site safety rules and practices.
- Operates and isolates electrical components such as circuit breakers, disconnects, ground switches, fuses as required for proper system operation and electrical isolation.
- Performs preventative and corrective maintenance of plant equipment such as greasing, lubricating, filter change outs, vibration checking etc. Involved in repairing plant equipment and plant instrumentation.
- Research, source and order parts as required.
- Perform general housekeeping and continuous improvement of the appearance of the facility including painting projects as required. Maintains the cleanliness of all areas of the plant and control room, or other duties as assigned. Participates in upkeep of plant grounds as required (e.g. snow removal, walkway salting, lawn maintenance, etc).
- Adheres to the requirements of Process Safety Management and Risk Management Plan
- Adheres to the requirements of Tiverton’s Management of Change program.
- Manage and control facility access through gate entrance as required. Receives site deliveries as required.
- Hires and supervises contractors when designated to do so by Plant Management
- Participate in various training programs to help support operations.
- Operates plant equipment as required (trucks, cranes, forklift, scissor and aerial lifts).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associated Degree from two-year college or technical school
- 2-4 years related experience
- Training in power plant operations. Deemed competent on Operator B Op Quals.
- Mechanical, instrumentation and electrical knowledge
- Must be proficient in Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Proficient in computer technology and use of various computer based tools (Word, Excel, PI, Red Tag etc.), time keeping, computer based training and others as needs and technology changes over time
- Strong electrical and microprocessor based control background
- Ability to interpret mechanical drawings, electric one-lines, logic drawings, technical manuals and P & IDs
- Ongoing proficiency in job qualifications and knowledge and application of site procedures
Social Process Skills:
- Process strong communication and human relation skills
- Process strong organizational skills
- Detail and safety oriented
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Physically fit and alert
- Worked on feet extended hours – stairs and ladder climbing
- Requires extended work hours (off-shifts, weekends, holidays). Work shift hours, overtime, irregular hours, and provide vacation coverage as needed to support reliable operation of the facility. From time to time the working hours will be determined on short notice based on plant requirements.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to pass a respirator clearance exam and respirator fit test for participation in respiratory protection program. Must be able to pass respirator clearance exam and respirator fit test
- Work in confined spaces
- Work above grade
- Must be willing to travel for required company business
- Working in extreme temperature/climate conditions
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email