Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, solar power, and wind assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 7,000 MW.
This is a working supervisory position that includes both management of wind technicians and performance of technician duties. The person holding this position is responsible for planning & scheduling work for the next day/week/months for the site wind technicians, organizing teams for maintenance, troubleshooting and repair activities, and ensure technicians are updating maintenance logs and following procedures in a safe and efficient way. While also performing the duties of a wind technician which included performing safe and efficient expert maintenance, operation, troubleshooting and repair of wind turbine generators. Duties also include addressing personnel issues and concerns of the technicians that report to this position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct all work activities in a professional, environmentally conscious, and safe manner.
- Assure operational efficiency, unit reliability and compliance with safety and environmental standards.
- Maintain and execute tactical processes in a team oriented, multi-discipline environment.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair wind turbine generation equipment.
- Perform general and preventative maintenance on generators, pitch systems, yaw systems, cooling systems, and other wind turbine support systems.
- Experience in troubleshooting and correcting mechanical issues with gearboxes, pumps and other rotating equipment & rotating machinery alignment
- Complete other tasks as requested by the Facilities Manager.
- Varying day shift schedule allow up to 6 days a week of coverage. Will also be required to respond to call outs and work overtime as needed.
- Ability to adhere to and follow all safety policies. & track time correctly
- Ability to perform inspections of safety equipment, vehicles, personal protective equipment, and plant equipment.
- Plan and Schedule work for the day / week / month. Organize teams for troubleshooting and repairs.
- Ensure technicians are updating maintenance logs & following procedures
- Review maintenance documents and work orders to ensure they are completed correctly
- Plan and coordinate contractors for repair of 34.5 KV collection system which includes contractor selection, operation and tagout of substation breakers and switches to allow for safe repairs and upgrades to the collection system
- Perform thermal imaging and analysis of collection system and turbine components.
- Perform Facilities Manager duties as needed
- Supervision and management of technician team.
- Electrical Maintenance- troubleshooting and correcting electrical maintenance problems, including contactors, motors, breakers and wiring.
- 3 – 5 years’ related experience required working in a power plant environment preferred.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated planning, organizational and good decision-making skills
- Capability to multi-task and prioritize work for the team.
- Ability to handle constantly changing and emerging work priorities & schedules.
- Ability to analyze technical information and make sound judgement decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to understand and read electrical drawings and to read, write and comprehend technical information.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to interact with various personality types desired.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office and other computer-based productivity tools.
- Must have an unrestricted driver’s license and be able to speak English.
- Must meet the weight requirements for the safety equipment and wind turbine equipment.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Associates technical/electronic degree or minimum 3 years of work experience in electrical/electronic repair industry, mechanical field.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess high safety and environmental awareness.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, remaining focused and calm in the face of distractions.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with diverse groups.
- Ability to continuously learn and adapt to change.
- Troubleshoot complicated mechanical and electrical problems on variable pitch, variable speed turbine and assist technicians with phone supportive trouble shooting.
- Assist in all areas of site operations with minimal supervision as directed by facilities manager.
- Document all work performed using computer-based software.
- Constantly works to improve skill level by attending sponsored training sessions
- Work with Facilities Manager and Engineering to implement upgrades and retro fits.
- Requires climbing ladders, standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, and climbing stairs to inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- Outdoor conditions may run from very cold to hot and humid. Will work in confined spaces, dust, grease & oil and be exposed to loud noise.
- Requires occasional travel outside service area.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Must have the ability to work at elevated spaces and be able to climb a 300-foot tower ladder on a daily basis.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds. Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to operate hand and power tools.
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to email@example.com. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email