Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 5,800 MW
The person holding this position is responsible for operating the facility, while utilizing advance electrical or instrumentation and controls maintenance skills. Selected candidate(s) will be placed in either a single skill position (pending training completion for multi-skill) or directly into a multi-skilled position based upon prior experience.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct all work activities in a professional, environmentally conscious, and safe manner.
- Assure operational efficiency, unit reliability and compliance with safety and environmental standards.
- Participate in the Plant’s Preventive and Corrective Maintenance Program by performing routine maintenance duties.
- Troubleshoot and correct electrical maintenance problems, including switchgear, motors, breakers and plant wiring.
- Troubleshoot, calibrate, repair, tune, and replace I&C equipment and components.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and repair of plant control systems.
- Assist with maintenance, repair, and/or replace of plant mechanical equipment.
- Maintain and execute tactical processes in a team-oriented, multi-discipline environment.
- Complete other tasks as requested by the Operations & Maintenance Manager.
- Monday thru Friday schedule rotating shifts, will be required to respond to call-outs and work overtime as needed.
- Operations– Experience in the operation of a combined cycle power plant to include starting up and shutting down plant equipment from the control room; monitoring and operating plant equipment and responding to plant upset events and emergencies; taking and recording all necessary equipment and instrumentation readings and data; and manually and remotely operating valves and equipment.
- Electrical Maintenance– troubleshooting and correcting electrical maintenance problems, including switch gear, motors, breakers and plant wiring. Maybe required to complete the plant’s Electrical training program.
- Instrumentation & Control– troubleshooting, calibrating, repairing, tuning, and replacing sophisticated I&C equipment and components. Maybe required to complete the plant’s Instrumentation & Control training program.
- Mechanical Maintenance– experience in welding and cutting practices, troubleshooting and correcting mechanical problems which include combustion turbines, steam turbines, pumps, compressors, valves and various rotating equipment. Maybe required to complete the plant’s Mechanical training program.
- 3 – 5 years’ related experience required working in a power plant environment.
- Should be familiar with the usage of high-tech electronic test equipment and other precision test instruments to be used in identifying problems.
- Ability to repair, test, adjust, or install electronic equipment, such as transmitters, pressure switches and controllers.
- Experience with maintenance and troubleshooting on plant-wide electrical and instrumentation systems.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Ability to handle constantly changing and emerging work priorities and schedules. Ability to work effectively with other team members.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to interact with various personality types.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office and other computer-based productivity tools.
- Demonstrate good decision-making abilities, long-term developmental capabilities, and networking skills.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field preferred.
- Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, remaining focused and calm in the face of distractions
- Possess high safety and environmental awareness
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with diverse groups
- Ability to continuously learn and adapt to change
- Normal power plant environment and/or outdoor work environment.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- Outdoor conditions may run from very cold to hot and humid. Will work in confined spaces, dust, grease & oil and be exposed to loud noise.
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required.
- Requires occasional travel outside service area.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email