Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 5,800 MW
Rhode Island State Energy Center is actively recruiting multi-skilled Combustion Turbine Power Plant Technicians who will be responsible for operating the facility, while utilizing advance maintenance skills. Selected candidate(s) will be placed into the Facility’s training program. Individuals who have demonstrated experience in the multi-skills that are needed at power plants are preferred.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts all work activities in a professional, environmentally conscious, and safe manner.
- Assures operational efficiency, unit reliability and compliance with safety and environmental standards. Maintains and executes tactical processes in a team oriented, multi-discipline environment.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs all plant equipment to include instrumentation, control systems, mechanical, and electrical equipment.
- Perform predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Executes equipment tag outs as required under the direction of the Shift O&M Leader.
- This position involves shift work, overtime, call-outs, outage work, weekend, and holiday work.
- Operations– Experience in the operation of a combined cycle power plant to include starting up and shutting down plant equipment from the control room; monitoring and operating plant equipment and responding to plant upset events and emergencies; taking and recording all necessary equipment and instrumentation readings and data; and manually and remotely operating valves and equipment.
- Electrical Maintenance– Experience in troubleshooting and correcting electrical maintenance problems, including switch gear, motors, breakers and plant wiring. Should be familiar with the usage of high-tech electronic test equipment and other precision test instruments to be used in identifying problems. Completion of electrical technical training is required.
- Instrument & Control– Experience in troubleshooting, calibrating, repairing, tuning, and replacing sophisticated I&C equipment and components. Must be able to maintain the plant equipment and components. Must be able to maintain the plant Distributed Control System and related equipment. Completion of extensive technical training in modern I&C work is required.
- Mechanical Maintenance– Experience in troubleshooting and correcting mechanical problems which include combustion turbines, steam turbines, pumps, compressors, valves and various rotating equipment. Must be proficient in alignment, basic machining and welding, rigging and equipment component inspection and repair. Completion of mechanical technical training is required.
- 5 years’ experience at a Combined Cycle Power Plant or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrates full knowledge and proficiency in the operation and maintenance of a combustion turbine generating station, including balance-of-plant equipment.
- Specific experience with Siemens 501F combustion turbines preferred.
- Understanding of MARK VI, Ovation and Siemens T3000 control systems preferred.
- Understanding of dispatch protocol.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Good decision-making skills.
- Demonstrates planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Ability to handle constantly changing and emerging work priorities and schedules. Ability to work effectively with other team members.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to interact with various personality types desired. Good computer skills including Microsoft Office and other computer-based productivity tools. Demonstrates decision making abilities, long term developmental capabilities and networking skills.
- Physical requirements include lifting 40 to 75 pounds, walking, bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling, pushing, pulling, etc. Work may be performed around rotating equipment and highly energized and/or pressurized systems.
- A valid driver’s license required
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field preferred
- Normal power plant environment and/or outdoor work environment.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- Outdoor conditions may run from very cold to hot and humid. Will work in confined spaces, dust, grease & oil and be exposed to loud noise.
- Requires occasional travel outside facility locations.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to email@example.com. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email.