Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 7,000 MW.
Rhode Island State Energy Center is actively recruiting multi-skilled Combustion Turbine Power Plant Technicians who will be responsible for maintaining the facility, while contributing in other areas. Selected candidate(s) will be placed into the Facility’s training program. Individuals who have demonstrated experience in the multi-skills that are needed at power plants are preferred. This position the candidate is applying for is primarily a day shift position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts all work activities in a professional, environmentally conscious, and safe manner.
- Assures operational efficiency, unit reliability and compliance with safety and environmental standards. Maintains and executes tactical processes in a team oriented, multi-discipline environment.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs all plant equipment to include instrumentation, control systems, mechanical, and electrical equipment.
- Perform predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Executes equipment tag outs as required under the direction of the Shift O&M Leader.
- This position involves overtime, call-outs, outage work, weekend, and holiday work.
Candidate needs to have strong understanding in at least one of the following disciplines:
- Operations– Experience in the operation of a combined cycle power plant to include monitoring and operating plant equipment and responding to plant upset events and emergencies; taking and recording all necessary equipment and instrumentation readings and data; and manually and remotely operating valves and equipment.
- Electrical Maintenance– Experience in troubleshooting and correcting electrical maintenance problems, including switch gear, motors, breakers and plant wiring. Should be familiar with the usage of high-tech electronic test equipment and other precision test instruments to be used in identifying problems. Completion of electrical technical training is required.
- Instrument & Control– Experience in troubleshooting, calibrating, repairing, tuning, and replacing sophisticated I&C equipment and components. Must be able to maintain the plant equipment and components. Must be able to maintain the plant Distributed Control System and related equipment. Completion of extensive technical training in modern I&C work is required.
- Mechanical Maintenance– Experience in troubleshooting and correcting mechanical problems which include combustion turbines, steam turbines, pumps, compressors, valves and various rotating equipment. Must be proficient in alignment, basic machining and welding, rigging and equipment component inspection and repair. Completion of mechanical technical training is required.
- 5 years’ experience at a Combined Cycle Power Plant or equivalent work experience.
- Must be able to read and understand technical manuals, P&ID’s, electrical schematics and control logic diagrams.
- Follows all safe work practices and procedures.
- Perform maintenance activities to the degree the individual is qualified and in a safe manner.
- Executes Clearance Permits (LOTO) as required under the direction of the Shift Plant Leader.
- Proficient in the ability to interpret power generation systems, procedures and drawings with ability to learn and operate existing & new systems.
- Monitors performance to identify operating characteristics, take necessary actions to prevent or limit failure, optimize efficiency, identify root cause and implement countermeasures.
- Understands and follows procedures for compliance with all environmental regulations.
- Must be able to respond to off-hour callouts, work a reasonable amount of overtime, and be able to work on holidays and weekends.
- Good communications skills, oral/written & basic computer skills.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- A valid driver’s license required
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field preferred
- Working Conditions:
- Normal power plant environment and/or outdoor work environment.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- Outdoor conditions may run from very cold to hot and humid. Will work in confined spaces, dust, grease & oil and be exposed to loud noise.
- Requires occasional travel outside facility locations.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities
- Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to email@example.com. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email