Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 7,000 MW.
The person holding this position is responsible for operating the facility, while utilizing advance mechanical skills. Selected candidate(s) will be placed in either a single skill position (pending training completion for multi-skill) or directly into a multi-skilled position based upon prior experience.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct all work activities in a professional, environmentally conscious, and safe manner.
- Assure operational efficiency, unit reliability and compliance with safety and environmental standards. Maintain and execute tactical processes in a team oriented, multi-discipline environment.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and repair of all plant mechanical equipment.
- Carry out troubleshooting and repair activities to ensure that power plants work at the optimum levels.
- Perform general and preventative maintenance on generators, combustion turbines, pumps and motors.
- Perform predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Experience in troubleshooting and correcting mechanical issues with valves, pumps and other rotating equipment.
- Experience in rotating machinery alignment.
- Complete other tasks as requested by the Operations & Maintenance Supervisor.
- Monday thru Friday schedule, will be required to respond to call outs and work overtime as needed.
- Operations– Experience in the operation of a combined cycle power plant to include starting up and shutting down plant equipment from the control room; monitoring and operating plant equipment and responding to plant upset events and emergencies; taking and recording all necessary equipment and instrumentation readings and data; and manually and remotely operating valves and equipment.
- Electrical Maintenance- troubleshooting and correcting electrical maintenance problems, including switch gear, motors, breakers and plant wiring. Maybe required to complete the plant’s Electrical training program.
- Instrumentation & Control– troubleshooting, calibrating, repairing, tuning, and replacing I&C equipment and components. Maybe required to complete the plant’s Instrumentation & Control training program.
- 3 – 5 years’ related experience required working in a power plant environment.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Good decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills.
- Capability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Ability to handle constantly changing and emerging work priorities schedules and prioritizes work.
- Knowledge of power plant equipment and of fundamental principles related to physics, mathematics, heat transfer and fluid flow, thermodynamics.
- Ability to analyze technical information and make sound judgement decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to understand and read mechanical drawings and to read, write and comprehend technical information.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to interact with various personality types desired.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office and other computer-based productivity tools.
- Demonstrates decision making abilities, long term developmental capabilities and networking skills.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field preferred
- Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, remaining focused and calm in the face of distractions
- Possess high safety and environmental awareness
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with diverse groups
- Ability to continuously learn and adapt to change
- Working Conditions:
- Normal power plant environment and/or outdoor work environment.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- Outdoor conditions may run from very cold to hot and humid. Will work in confined spaces, dust, grease & oil and be exposed to loud noise.
- Requires occasional travel outside service area.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to email@example.com. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email.