Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 5,800 MW.
Provide technical and project management support for the operation, maintenance, betterment, development, design, construction and testing of power generating facilities and ancillary components. Provide due diligence evaluations for prospective facility acquisitions including major equipment condition, capacity and heat rate evaluation, identification of potential capacity and heat rate improvement opportunities, and provide performance and cost estimations for identified improvements.
Principal Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering assistance for equipment replacement, modifications, upgrades and modernization.
- Troubleshoot operational, maintenance and performance issues for major plant equipment including steam turbines, steam generators, high energy piping, combustion turbines and emissions controls.
- Assist plants with identifying, understanding and correcting the causes of equipment component defects.
- Assist plants in administering high energy piping inspection programs. Review inspection reports and make recommendations for repairs including criticality and urgency.
- Evaluate equipment upgrades available from manufacturers and aftermarket providers for major plant equipment and controls. Perform cost/benefit analysis and recommend upgrades.
- Develop performance monitoring tools for major plant equipment based on plant operating data retrieved from PI.
- For merger and acquisition candidates, participate in due diligence activities including:
- Assess equipment condition for all major plant equipment
- Establish plant parameters for market studies including capacity, heat rate, start cost and VOM costs.
- Project major maintenance and capex costs for financial model inputs.
- Identify and evaluate facility upgrade options that will improve capacity, heat rate and/or operability.
- Perform plant betterment studies identifying opportunities to improve plant efficiency, capacity, reliability and regulatory compliance. Develop conceptual design, construction cost estimates and schedules.
- Create specifications for gas turbines, steam turbines, HRSG, SCR, boiler and other major equipment procurement. Review equipment quotes for compliance with specifications.
- Develop air and water emission estimates for permitting activities.
- Manage third party engineering activities for plant betterment and plant expansion projects.
Required Job-Related Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the energy industry.
- Proficiency in OSI PI Historian tools and Thermoflow is a plus.
- Active Professional Engineering License preferred.
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to email@example.com. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email