Cogentrix is a leading independent power producer with a long track record of successfully acquiring, developing, constructing, operating, improving and divesting power generation assets. Cogentrix is owned by funds managed by The Carlyle Group, one of the world’s largest alternative asset management firms, and serves as Carlyle’s in-house power asset management platform. Cogentrix has been directly involved in the development, ownership, operations and management of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and solar power assets delivering a combined generating capacity in excess of 10 GW. Through the ownership and operation of these plants, Cogentrix has participated in most of the major power regions in the U.S. Cogentrix currently manages plants in the Carlyle portfolio, which has a total net generation of approximately 5,800 MW
The person in this position is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the facility in accordance with all company policies and standards. He/she is responsible for directing and supervising the on-shift technicians and other plant personnel to ensure the facility is operated and maintained in a safe, clean and efficient manner.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain and enforce company safety and health requirements, environmental compliance policies and operating procedures. Follow and ensure staff follows standard safety procedures, correct safety and environmental hazards.
- Monitor the operation of major plant equipment and systems and takes appropriate action to ensure they are operated safely, in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements. Ensure operation is done in a manner consistent with maximizing availability and in a manner consistent with optimizing fuel efficiency.
- Ensure the facility and all personnel operate safely at all times and promotes an environment whereby safety is a priority. Responsible for enforcement of safety programs and procedures.
- Train shift personnel in safety procedures, equipment use, plant operating procedures, and environmental standards and compliance. Implement plant training programs and ensure continued progress as outlined in the PQR program along with corporate training reqs.
- Foster and promote a culture of teamwork with all plant staff members.
- Anticipate problems, identify potential or recurring problems, and take appropriate action.
- Troubleshoot equipment and assist in diagnosing problem areas. Document all problems in eLogger, CMMS, and any forms of paper or electric logging created.
- Respond and report to work during off hours when emergency assistance or repairs are required.
- Perform routine inspections, water analysis, and troubleshooting, to optimize plant performance.
- Prepare for daily team meetings to coordinate plant O&M activities and provide status.
- Formulate and execute projects assigned by O&M Management. Coordinate plant production with the Energy Management groups. Assume scheduling responsibilities during evening and weekend hours.
- Communicate verbally and in writing to customers, suppliers, and operators to ensure optimum resource utilization.
- Administer preventive maintenance work orders, housekeeping assignments, and operations routines.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Blue Seal or above NJ Boiler Operator License
- Mechanical Engineering Degree desired. Minimum 2 year degree in applicable discipline or equivalent experience, High School Graduate with a valid driver’s license.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in power plant operations/maintenance
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with fellow employees, representatives of other utilities, outside consultants and the public
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills
- Computer Skills Required:
- CMMS Program Knowledge
- Excel Spreadsheet
- Ability to read and interpret vendor manuals, drawings, and regulation requirements.
- Ability to understand best maintenance practices, organize and plan tasks, and be a self-directed working to multiple plant objectives.
- Thorough understanding of power plant safety, operations, training and maintenance, with strong knowledge of generating equipment, and understanding of plant engineering functions as they relate to operations and maintenance. Knowledgeable of Power Plant Safety Programs
- Experience as a Power Plant Mechanic, Electrician or I&C Technician is a plus
- Knowledgeable of Chemical Safe Handling Practices, DPCC, SPPP and Hazmat Programs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Flexible work schedules.
- Understanding of low, medium and high voltage systems.
- Desire to progress into next level of management
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Position requires extensive walking and climbing, working indoors in a hot environment and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license for travel to other companies/vendors.
Qualified candidates should send Resume by email to email@example.com. Please note the Position in the Subject line of your email.